Monday, January 4, 2016

Day 4: Woes of the Wicked

Day 4
Psalms 1-5

We are surrounded by enemies. Whether it be people who manipulate to meet their agendas, those who talk down on us, or the situations in life that beat us to the pit. We read in the very beginning of Psalms, however, that when we turn to the word of God, rather than the advice of the wicked, we will find greater joy in the long run. It is very evident that staying on the good side of God is the best place to be, not only because God crushes the wicked, but because He has the backs of all of His followers, and because of this, we needn't worry about anything in this life taking us down.

I get caught up in the little worries of life. I worry about bills, housework, work-work, my child, my husband, my friends, EVERYTHING! If you just ask my husband, I am one of those women who has the brain that goes everywhere in 30 seconds flat. He can't keep up and I get exhausted worrying about everything all the time.
One thing God really taught me when I faced such great and dramatic hardship a couple years ago was that He has this. As long as I strive to be in line with Him and follow His Word, I have nothing worth worry about. He has it. David faced great struggles, as we'll read throughout the Old Testament. He portrays his feelings throughout Psalms, which shows us how human and real David was, as well as how much faith he carried with him when crying out to God.
"In peace I will lie down and sleep, (surrounded by enemies in pursuit of him), for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe." (Psalm 4:8)
My dad used to say this verse to us each night before bed. As I grew up, I knew it meant God has my safety, but as life got real and I had to start making more choices, this verse was ever comforting to me.

Nothing, nothing, nothing can touch me if I have a heart for God. Those who follow in His ways are sure of this. Those who contradict His path and cause destruction in this world will feel an angry wrath that only God can produce. I never liked this picture of God (the wrathful, angry, scary one), but as I experience Him more and more, and the injustices and craziness that runs in this world, I can respect God's feelings towards it. Hang with God and you have nothing to fear. Nothing can separate you from that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment