Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas Peace




Peace. Peace and quiet...boy, would that be something to be treasured as a working mom with a two year old. Not to mention the working part is the role of a church secretary, so...busy, busy...always something to do...
Then there's the "extracurriculars". Meetings, missions, studies, praise band on occasion. Peace can be very hard to come by at times.
But, the night I experienced the greatest amount and most powerful peace, was also one that was filled with chaos and heavy unknowns. A night that God took the reigns from me and showed me how in control He is of my life, as doctors rushed around, warning me of the "risks", the "unknowns", and the "rarities" of my case, as they prepped me for emergency open-heart surgery.
In that time, I felt so stilled by God's hand. I knew that regardless of the outcome, I was going to be ok. I was actually to a point of being ok, even if I hadn't made it...and I had my husband in the room, and a newborn baby somewhere with relatives. That, is peace.
The night Christ was born, we received a gift that nothing under a tree could touch. When Christ died on a tree for us, we received something so powerful, that anything under a tree would be put to shame and never come close to this most prized gift. Peace that surpasses understanding was one of the things we received.
Because of Christ, we can stand confidently, face to face with the troubles of this world and know we will be ok. Because of Christ, we have the peace that reconciled us to God and took the punishment of the sins we take for granted. Because of Christ, I don't need to worry till my last breath about what will happen.
When we can teach ourselves to be still before God on a daily basis and allow Him to take hold of our lives and grant us remarkable sightings into His will and way, we can honestly enjoy the peace that will overcome the obstacles of the day. It is so easy to miss out because of the busy, busy, busy. Christmas is a prime time for busy, (especially if you work in a church), but coming quietly before God regularly, will allow you to come boldly before your problems and experience peace in the midst of them. Will they go away? No, but you will handle them and look at them in a different light.
 
"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You." -Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment