Friday, January 6, 2017

Day 74: Truly Trust

Day 74:
Psalms 33-35

There's a song that I fell in love with awhile back that I first heard on our local Christian radio station called "Trust in You" by Lauren Daigle. If you haven't heard it, or want to hear it again, check it out here. This song reminded me to not get bent out of shape when my type A personality wanted to kick in and try to control everything. (Have you ever tried controlling a two-year old?!?) There is something peaceful and reassuring about David's writings today, as we read his words about the Lord. On the other hand, there is something scary and eerie if you're reading those words and are not a Christ-follower. It is clear here that putting our trust and love into earthly things will result in the ultimate falling away. Yet, putting our trust and love into Christ will result in the ultimate satisfaction. 

There is a lot in our readings today about trusting in Christ alone and hoping in Him alone. I have to admit, that even though I worry about things, I don't worry as much now as I used to years ago. Christ moved deeply in my world as He put me to such an earth-shattering test. All I could do was trust Him in that moment, as my life was in the hands of others. Not to mention, I had a two-week old at the same time. Since then, I've learned that exclusive trust in Christ is all I need. I adore my family. I am in love with my husband. I love my job. I am very fond of my life, but those things aren't "needs" per se. Christ is my need. The rest are what have fallen into place and He as blessed me with.

David had to learn to trust in Christ alone as well. We can tell from his writings how passionate he is about His Savior, and how deeply he professes the love and trust he has in Him.
 "I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces." -Psalm 34:4-5
While those times of trials and unknowns are some of the darkest, scariest ones we can face, Christ can free us from our fears. I experienced this. I felt and now feel very at ease with Christ as my light. While trials still come and things still hit, the joy of the Lord is my strength, and to that I have to look up and say amen.

How do you react when God doesn't lead you down a road that seems right? Sometimes we face things that are brutal and unfair. We have fears that we'll lose something or someone. We fear for our reputations. We fear for how people look at us. The opposite of fear, however, is faith. Do you have faith and trust that God is enough for you? Do you see joy in the midst of your hardships because you know that God will deliver you in the right time, allowing you to grow and be refined in your faith?

It is hard to trust in something you can't see. But look back on your life and take a moment to see how Christ has worked in you already. You CAN see Him and the evidence of His work in you. Trust that He hears you. Trust that He will help you. Trust that His plans are greater. Trust that He will free you. Do you display a joy to others around you that shows that Christ is indeed enough for you? This is hard, especially in the middle of a situation that you feel is hopeless. Remember that Christ is your hope and His plans are greater.


No comments:

Post a Comment