Thursday, January 3, 2019

Let it Go- Identity

I am a wife. I am a mother. I am an office manager, a writer, a reader. I love traveling. I love to see new places. I hate cooking, math, and micromanagers. I have a congenital heart defect. I have depression. I am sensitive. 

But most importantly, I am a child of God.

I think we get too wrapped up in who we are, that we forget Whose we are. We base our lives around what we want, what we feel, and what we think makes us us. The beauty of our identity is that it makes us unique. However the danger of our identity is that we put all of those things before our identity in Christ.

We rely more on how we play a sport, or how we play an instrument, that we forget to praise the One who gave us those abilities with them when we skip church on Sunday or youth group to go play instead.

We are so desperate to find a partner that we go to every length, boundary, and neckline to get one, that we miss the One who CAN actually fill our hearts better than any human being can, before we try to cram an unfortunate person into that hole who doesn't stand a chance to make you happy only the way Jesus can.

We live every day in a week in a horrible mood because of the health cards we've been dealt, yet forget our eternal healing is coming, and we need to be sharing that eternal healing, hope and light with all of the other sick human beings around us.

You see, identity is not just yours. Every piece that makes you you is for a reason. Whether it's good, bad, ugly, God's Will or because of our selfish desires to go with "what feels right." You can use the good to bring glory to your first and foremost identity. You can help others get through the bad and see the Light at the other side of it, because you walked that dark path too. You can get through the ugly because there are other Christ- Followers who have gotten through it and are now testifying it is possible.

If you believe in Christ and what He has done for you, and you have accepted Him to be in your life, correction, be your life, than your first and foremost identity is in Him, period. Share it, strive for it, hold onto it. Because down the road 5-10 years you'll be a slightly different person, but He is the same forever, and that is a comforting thing.

Scripture to read:
Genesis 16

Questions to ponder:
How did Sarai and Hagar both struggle with identity?
How does your identity in other things sometimes get in the way of your identity in Christ first and foremost?
What are some things that make you, you? How can you use these things to bring glory to God, whether it be using them for Him, helping others with them, etc.?


I created this little video to Lecrae's "Identity" with my youth group girls in the distant past. My goal was to help them realize and express to the other kids in group that identity comes first in Christ! It's cheesy and it was before the era of good cameras and editing for me, but enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment