Friday, January 25, 2019

Seek and Find

One game my daughter likes to play is hide and seek. I don't know a single preschooler who hates that game. I think there is something so exciting about the possibilities for a kid her size when it comes to down to it. "Who will I find?" "Where will I hide?" "What will I discover along the way?" It is exciting for them, much like traveling to a new place is exciting for me. "What will I see?" "What will I be inspired by?" "How will I see God in new ways?"

During His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells us,
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8

One thing we have to notice about this advice from Jesus is that there are action words that require us to do something. We have to ask. We have to seek. We have to knock. In order to heed the opportunities God has for us, we need to do our part. Being intentional in doing these things may sound easy on paper, but it can be and is incredibly hard. 

To fully experience what God has for you, over the next several days, we will be discussing what this looks like - to be intentional about seeking, asking, knocking. We will also get the chance to consider the things we will gain when we ask, when we seek, when we knock. I hope that we can learn much together and grow deeper in our faith and relationship with Christ.

Scripture to read:
Matthew 7:7-12


Questions to ponder:
Have you ever asked God for a bold request?
Have you ever worked hard to seek God in impossible and in mundane days of life? What was that like for you?
What kinds of opportunities have you asked God for, if ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment