Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New

With a new year, comes the ponderings of new beginnings. This may entail new goals, new habits, and new routines. I feel like every year, as the calendar is turning, I feel motivated to eat better, create new budget spreadsheets, and make exciting plans for the year. Most of these goals and motivations fade out by February, but my intentions are usually good.

Luckily, everyday presents opportunities to start fresh. As a perfectionist, I tend to throw the goal away as soon as I screw up one day. If I can't write on day 8, I quit on day 9. If I don't eat a healthy lunch, I grab fast food for dinner. It's an unfortunate cycle that many get into every year, but let's challenge ourselves to keep going on day 10, even if we fell behind on day 8.
Not only does this create discipline, it helps us rely on the goodness of God. No matter how many times we fall off the wagon, God waits for us, open-armed, ready for us to run back. Don't give up on yourself, and on God. Keep striving to live the way that brings God glory. He doesn't want you to give up.

I preach this to myself as there are many days I want to just quit. The holidays are a time of utter chaos for me. I feel fried by Christmas Day, and by New Year's, I just am ready to throw in every towel I juggle. We gain 1000 toys that lay all over the house. Working in a church brings a whirlwind of details, and either overly happy, shiny people, or cranky ones who only see flaws, not meaning. The laundry sits for weeks, the dishes never go away, and they get that crusty glaze that isn't recognizable anymore. It's a season of throwing my hands up by January 1. 

Yet, quitting would be the wrong thing to do. With blessings, you have to take the hardships. That's what makes the blessings taste so good.

Seasons of hardships will come with your goals. The diet may be easy on day 1, but you may want to quit by day 3. Imagine if you keep going though? Imagine if even if you messed up day 3, you started again day 4. Imagine the strength and the discipline you'll gain.

Rely on God in the midst of your goals. Taste and see the goodness of the blessings He offers. Get into His Word this year and keep in it. It will center you on those days that are impossible. Strive on this year.

Scripture to read:
Psalm 1, James 1:2-3

Questions to ponder:
What are some goals you set that you have a hard time breaking the cycle on?
When have you wanted to quit? What was going on in life at that time?
How will you focus yourself this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment