Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Teaching of Jesus - Go the Extra Mile

One of the lowest times of my life actually ended up being one of the most spiritually high ones for me. After facing a medical crisis after my daughter was born (she was almost 2 weeks old), I got myself a helicopter ride and a major surgery out of it. I can't even begin to tell you the chaos that was going through my mind as I was wheeled to a waiting helicopter, leaving my newborn and husband behind, unsure of seeing them again. It was crazy how fast things changed in the matter of an hour. However, as I came through surgery and a painful recovery, I was blessed. People literally rallied around my family that I didn't even know. Cards, finances, daily gifts, child care, prayers, update web pages, rides for my husband, paying our bills, visits...I can't even remember half of them (drugs do that to you)! But my life was incredibly blessed because people were willing to go the extra mile for me and my family.

I think going the extra mile for someone not only blesses them, but it is a huge testimony. Jesus actually tells us to go the extra mile for someone:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." - Matthew 5:38-42

The Roman law at the time Jesus spoke the Sermon on the Mount required anyone to carry a soldier’s gear for 1 mile if asked. Jesus however, tells you to not only fulfill the 1 mile, but to go 2 miles. I'm sure if someone were to approach you on a hot day and ask you to carry their heavy gear a mile, you would probably grumble and complain under your breath, but do it because you had to. I know I probably would. But imagine if when you get to the end of your mile, and the soldier reaches to take his stuff back, you stop him and say "no, that's ok. Let's go another mile." I'm sure this wasn't common, as the Romans weren't that smiled upon as rulers over the people.

What is the difference between mile 1 and mile 2, though? If you really stop to picture this scenario, can you see why this would be a surprising situation. Imagine the questions and conversation that would come up between the soldier and the person walking the extra mile. I'm sure the "why" question would come forth.

Apply this thought to something else today. If you just go out of your way to bless someone else and open conversations, not because you have to, but because you want to, imagine the impact or the seed this could plant. Mile 1 fulfilled an obligation, but mile 2 opened a conversation. We should never expect someone to go an extra mile for us, because then we are the ones who have the wrong frame of mind, but we should always be looking for ways to go the extra mile for someone else. Not only will this cause someone else's day to brighten, but you will be blown away by how much it will blow your mind.

Who is someone on your mind that you could bless today? It never has to be anything huge. I have been blessed so deeply by a simple card with lovely words. Go the extra mile to encourage someone. The story and testimony it portrays is bigger than you would think. There is a reason Jesus makes it a point to tell the people to do this. He knew that with kindness and sacrifice comes a relationship.

Scripture to Read:
Matthew 5:38-42, Mark 12:29-31, Galatians 6:9-10

Questions to Ponder:
When has someone gone the extra mile for you? How did it make you feel?
Who is someone you can go the extra mile for? What could you do for them?
How does showing kindness go a long ways for sharing your faith and foundation?

No comments:

Post a Comment