Friday, February 15, 2019

Agape Love - On Rock Climbing, Gas, & Trust

Rock Climbing was something I just loved to do. There is something about it that causes a rush as you have to rely on equipment, your body, and the person at the bottom holding the other end of the rope. In fact, I loved it so much, I worked ropes courses at the camp I worked at for 3 summers in a row, and was part of a "climbing club" that would go as far as 40 miles just to climb each week. I learned a lot about trust in those times, and taught a lot about trust in those times. I have learned that trust comes in all shapes and sizes and any possible area of life. Today, we'll consider trust in love and how it applies to that of agape.

We read in Exodus 18 that Moses had an issue with being over burdened by the people he led once they reached the wilderness. We read how his father in law, Jethro advises Moses to delegate others to take the burdens of disputes and duties that Moses is handling himself, as Jethro sees how unhealthy this is. Moses fortunately takes his father in law's advice and appoints "capable men, who fear God and are trustworthy." Without trust, Moses wouldn't have been able to raise up a team to help him. We do need to consider some things, however, as we hand out our trust to people. Moses didn't just hand out the duties to anyone. He trained them with the values of the decrees and instructions on how to live and behave per God's instruction, so that they could discern disputes and handle conflicts that arose. We need to have similar judgement when allowing people our trust.

I have a hard time letting go of things that are on my task list. I like to do things myself because I know it will be done the "right" way. If I do it myself I know it gets done. If I handle it myself, I know the outcome. If I handle it myself, I feel valued. But this isn't showing that I trust anyone. I don't allow anyone else to take the reins now and then and show they are capable and gifted. For this reason, I don't practice and strive for the characteristic of trust in agape love.

There is something to be said of a relationship that can find love from trust though. If you are in a relationship, friendship, small group that can say anything because they have earned your trust and you have earned theirs, it is powerful indeed. You can say things and hear things and know it is out of love, not for hurting, and that is gold. This takes time, and this is a weird balance at first. Marriage takes time and work, and trust is highly required. You can't stumble around a marriage too long without sharing truths about your spouse with them, or the whole thing is frustrating.

I chuckle a little because I think of when my husband and I first started dating. There is that awkward first few weeks, months, maybe days for some people where you just can't fart in front of them. It's painful, but something is holding you back from just letting it out. (Just me?) When you finally get comfortable enough to just do it, it breaks so much tension. But there is some sort of trust that comes with it. You know that you can be "gross" in front of them and they won't think you're gross or run because they think you are. Someone will "fart" in front of the other at some point in a marriage. Is there enough trust there to just be honest? Nothing spells great love than someone who can see you at your best and your worst. Talk about trust!

The translation of the word "trust" in this trait of agape means to "think to be true, to believe all things, to be persuaded of, to credit, to place confidence in". I love this definition because it insinuates that trust isn't just handed over. It takes credibility and proof. God doesn't want us to be dumb with our trust, but He wants us to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they have proven to us before they are worth our trust. People need to give a little to gain from someone. If the relationship is one-sided, it probably isn't a good relationship to be in. I also love the translation that uses "believes all things" rather than trusts. It's the same thing, but in so many words. Can you believe the best in people?

This concept can be taken a little more lightly for every face you come across though. When we interact with people day in and day out, no matter how well we know them, we can strive to see the best in them, and not peg them as a negative description right away. At the 2019 Women's IF:Gathering, Angie Smith shared to try and think toward every person you see, "I love you." Before anything else, say those words in your head about them. You don't have to hand over full trust to someone right off the bat - again, dumb. But try not to see them with a shadow of the doubt, but rather with the benefit of the doubt. They can choose to prove you wrong or right, but believe in them before dismissing them.

"When we look for what's best in the person we happen to be with at the moment, we're doing what God does, so in appreciating our neighbor, we're participating in something truly sacred." -Mr. Fred Rogers

How can you believe the best in people today? I know many will crush your spirits, and disappoint you, but how can you strive to see the good in someone? Can you hand a task over to someone who has shown you that you can trust them? Consider this topic today.

Scripture to Read:
Exodus 18, Proverbs 3:5-6

Questions to Ponder:
How does someone prove themselves to you in terms of earning your trust?
Who can we put our trust in at all times, even when people may fail us?
Why does it take trust to delegate a team or relationships around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment