Friday, February 22, 2019

Fill the Gap - Character Challenge

I love caller ID. Seriously, you can't even believe how much I love it. As an introverted, insecure, unsure, plan ahead for any possible scenario, fearful person, answering the phone is something I hate doing. It's a BIG part of my job, so I do it and I find out it wasn't so bad each time, but since I got caller ID, I no longer have to deal with telemarketers. (Except those ones that trick you by calling from a local number when they're really in Tahiti...but another frustration for another day.) The thing is, I can take the easy way out with caller ID with telemarketers. I don't have to worry about them recording my voice when it accidentally says "yes" or something along those lines, and have them use it against me when the "yes" had absolutely nothing to do with the thing they were selling anyways. It's cruel, I know...so I love letting my voicemail answer them.

Taking the easy way out is usually an option. Sometimes, we're forced into corners where this really is no easy way, and I truly believe those are the moments the rubber meets the road in terms of faith. But I also believe when we see something through and do it the right way, we refine and reveal our character greatly.  Another thing I worry about a lot is how I look to people. I have always lived to please man, which is an unhealthy place to be. By pleasing people, I'm too busy trying to stay out of conflict to realize I'm not honoring God, the One I should be pleasing.

When we are in the midst of rock bottom, of singleness, of unknowns, we tend to either keep fighting or give up. We embrace hope, bitterness or both. Ruth, having hope, went out to provide for her mother in law in the fields. Naomi flat out told her old friends that she was bitter. Ironically, Ruth's fighting to find hope is what attracted Boaz to her. (Ruth 2:8-12) "I have heard all the things you have done for your mother in law." Boaz's words to Ruth's question, "why have I found favor with you?"

Character is gained when we fight through the struggle. Character is gained when we can humbly take a knee and allow God to carry us through. Character is gained when we allow the irritating grains of life to turn us into perfect pearls. As I review James 1:2-4, we remember that this is how faith is gained. "because the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

If we really dig into this passage, we see that trials, hardships, unknowns are what give us character. They give us faith. They give us perseverance. They make us mature. With these things, we can take on the next trial, and the next trial, and the next, knowing we can grow even more.

Before you try to fill the gap in your heart with trying to impress people when what you have, with your words, with your body, fill the gap of your heart with Jesus. Nothing screams character more than a person who has an all out pursuit of faith in Him. It may not make you a popular person in this world, it may not win you awards, or even pay the bills, but it will matter as you lead a legacy in your family. Change the hardship story to a story of hope. Cling to Him and build something that may require a risk, or time, or patience. In Him, find peace, find worth, find something greater than your circumstance, and allow Him to build a character in you that can inspire others to find character in Him one day. 

Scripture to Read:
Ruth 2:8-12, Galatians 1:10, James 1:2-4

Questions to Ponder:
What does character mean to you?
How do you build character, especially in Christ?
Hoe does trying to please man over pleasing God hinder a building of character? 

No comments:

Post a Comment